The Xbox One S is an amazing game console as every Xbox has been. However, with this version of the Xbox in particular, there’s been a problem with noisy fans. The quality of the original fans vary quite a lot and therefore, there can be really silent but also really noisy game consoles out there. Especially when you’re using your Xbox as a media center (which works perfectly), you don’t want to hear noisy fans. Luckily, it’s realively easy to replace the existing fan with an even better replacement fan by BeQuiet. Let’s see how it works.

Parts & Tools

In order to replace the original Xbox One S fan, you need the following tools and parts:

Why did I decide to use the BeQuiet Silent Wings 3 BL070 120mm High-Speed fan? Well, there are a few reasons why to use it:

• First of all, BeQuiet deliveres – together with brands like Noctua – outstanding quality products and it’s worth to support them and buy a long-lasting product.
  • The replacement fan of the Xbox One S should have similar measures with the original fan. The BeQuiet fan meets those best: The right height ensures the hot air being pushed outside and not being kept inside. The width and length as well as the round shape meet the criteria in order to close the console again.
  • The fan is not only powerful enough (air throughput and RPM) but also much more silent than the original one – you could say „ultra silent“.

The only downside is that you’ll loose your warranty when opening your console. But hey, isn’t it fun to work on your own Xbox One S by yourself and improve it with better components than the original version?

Replacement

In order to open the Xbox One S, simply follow the turorial from iFixit. The tutorial works for both the regular Xbox One S with a blu-ray drive and the Xbox One S All Digital.

Here are a few tipps and tricks for this special scenario:

• You don’t have to remove the power supply neither you have to remove the entire electronics. In order to remove the existing, original fan, simply remove the four clips which hold the fan in place.
  • Mount the fan with the main logo on top so the hot air can leave the console.
  • There is no need to use cable ties in order to fix the fan.
  • Before you close the console completely, check if the fan is mountet probably. Therefore, start the Xbox One S and check if the fan is spinning without any problem. You may have to make a small dent into the aluminium grille so the spinning parts of the fan won’t touch it.

Then you’re ready to go. It’s a relatively hassle-free process with an amazing result: Finally, your Xbox One S is ultra silent!

Show CommentsClose Comments

12 Comments

• Fab
    Posted 30. Dezember 2019 at 13:30 0Likes

Thanks

• Allan
    Posted 6. April 2020 at 14:14 0Likes

Did you notice that, the XBOX is not powering off completely after changing the FAN? Change one with a similar Fan, with red ligths included. If you power the system off, the fan will keep spinning and the light is still on. Don´t know why this is.
    I changed some power settings and the fan will stop spinning after some time.. sometimes its around 5 Minutes..

• Lennart Wörmer
      Posted 9. April 2020 at 15:16 0Likes

Thank you for your comment, Allan! As far as I have read, the poles might be not correctly connected. You may want to do some research in the internet regarding that kind of issue. With my Xbox One S, there is no such problem. The fan will completely turn off when I turn off the console (in all power off modes available in the settings).

• Tommy
    Posted 29. April 2020 at 01:16 0Likes

Hey,

thanks for that great tutorial. I have heard about overheating issues when changing to this kind of aftermarket fan. What is your experience in terms of that?

Thanks!

• Lennart Wörmer
      Posted 3. Mai 2020 at 19:00 0Likes

Hi Tommy, thanks for your comment. I haven’t had and overheating issues so far although I’ve also read about them before I made my modification. However, I think you don’t have to worry about it when using the High-Speed fan edition.

• Thomas Whitehead
    Posted 2. Mai 2020 at 21:44 0Likes

Hello,

If you don’t need to use cable ties how will the new fan connect to the heatsink?

Thanks!

• Lennart Wörmer
      Posted 3. Mai 2020 at 19:02 0Likes

Hi Thomas, thanks for your question! The fan is being hold between the heatsink and the metal case and it stays there without cable ties. So there is no need for cable ties. However, you always have the option to additionally use them.

• philippe fernandes
    Posted 15. Mai 2020 at 19:53 0Likes

Hello the problem in the modification is that the console heats up more
    (sorry if my english and bad)

• Lennart Wörmer
      Posted 16. Mai 2020 at 17:19 0Likes

Hi Philippe, thanks for your input on this topic. Yes, it may be that the console heats up a bit more than with the regular fan. But as of my experience (especially when using the High-Speed version of the fan), there shouldn’t be a problem. Did you run into a problem?

• Carlos
    Posted 29. Mai 2020 at 10:14 0Likes

Hi, I´m very interested on apply this mod to my xbox one S but I´m from Colombia and it is complicate obtain all the parts. Can you help me to purchase the parts? Also I have a question about how you stay quiet the new fan if this havent the little locks? Can you make a video to watch all step by step? Thank you for absolutely anything.

• Lennart Wörmer
      Posted 30. Mai 2020 at 17:35 0Likes

Hi Carlos, thank you for your comment. The fan is absolutely quiet and I can barely hear it at all when my ear is right next to the Xbox One S. You don’t have to fix the fan as the case of the Xbox is tight enough to hold it in place. Unfortunately, I can’t help you with buying parts for you. Maybe there is a chance you can have a look at web shops in Colombia that sell this fan and such an adapter?